Compounding merges historic practices with advanced medical knowledge and cutting-edge technology, enabling skilled professional pharmacists to craft tailored medications that cater to individual patient needs. This method of medication formulation was the cornerstone of pharmaceutical prescriptions before the mass production of drugs became commonplace. Today, the need for professional compounding is growing as medical practitioners and patients realize that mass-produced drug strengths and dosages can’t address everyone’s unique requirements. For these individuals, a customized dosage may offer better outcomes.
Our specialized compounding professionals are able to prepare:
- Personalized dosage forms containing the optimal medication dose for each patient.
- Medications in unique forms not found in commercial markets, such as transdermal gels, troches, “chewies”, and lollipops.
- Medications devoid of excipients like gluten, dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol that could cause adverse reactions.
- Combinations of compatible drugs in a single dosage form for simplified administration and enhanced patient adherence.
- Medications that aren’t available commercially, have been discontinued, or are currently in short supply.
The effectiveness of any compounded formulation directly correlates to its preparation, underscoring the importance of choosing your compounding pharmacy wisely. Continuous professional education and training for compounding pharmacists and technicians, advanced equipment, and top-grade chemicals are also crucial to the quality of the preparation. Experience and creativity also play pivotal roles. When adjusting a formula or creating a unique preparation, the compounding pharmacist must account for the physical and chemical properties of the active ingredient and excipients, their solubility, tonicity, viscosity, and the most suitable dosage form or device for delivering the medication. It’s important to have Standard Operating Procedures in place and conduct appropriate potency tests.
Our compounding professionals can create customized medications in various forms, such as sublingual drops, oral and nasal sprays, lollipops, rectal solutions, suppositories, and other tailored dosage forms. Please get in touch with us to discuss your medication needs and concerns.